News round-up... 07/03/2014
News & opportunities
- You’re nearly out of time to apply for ICO courses Strategic Income Building for Independent Exhibitors(deadline Monday 10 March) and Elevate – Management Development for Distributors, Sales Agents and Exhibitors (deadline Thursday 13 March). If you want to focus your venue’s long-term income building strategy, or you’re a distribution, sales agent or exhibition exec in need of professional management training, book NOW.
- Membership and funding streams are now open for @FilmHubSE members. Apply for support for programming specialised film, enhancing community links with cinema or attending training courses and film festivals.
- Last chance for London exhibitors to apply for @Film_London‘s Boost Award, offering up to 3k to support Film Hub London members broaden their programming & increase audience engagement. Deadline 12 March.
- Fill out @SkillsetSSC‘s film industry survey and you could win a 100 John Lewis voucher. Not too shabby.
Calls for submissions
- @FL_FLAMIN Productions is now open for applications, offering awards of up to 40k to artist filmmakers to support the development of ambitious single-screen works. Deadline 27 May.
- The IMDb Bath Film Festival Awards are now open for submissions. Earlybird deadline 15 April.
- Applications are now open for Guiding Lights 2014, run by @LighthouseArts and funded by @SkillsetSSC and supported by @FilmHubSE. They’re looking for talented writers, directors and producers who (if successful) will gain 9 months of mentor support from an industry professional (previous mentors include Danny Boyle, Barbara Broccoli, Sam Mendes, Clio Barnard). Deadline 5pm, Monday 31 March.
- Young independent filmmakers have until 14 March to enter the INDIs 2014 & win cash prizes of up to 250… @leedsyoungfilm.
- Director or producer aged 18-30? Apply for 4,000 short film funding from @IdeasTap. Producers: deadline 10 March. Directors: deadline 2 April.
- @whirlygigcinema is calling for local filmmakers’ work for Spotlights, their monthly film night at Hackney Attic in London. Deadline 30 May.
- Aesthetica Short Film Festival 2014 @asffest is now calling for submissions of shorts of all genres. Deadline 31 May.
- Documentary-makers and producers: you’ve two weeks left to submit to MeetMarket – an opportunity to pitch your projects to over key industry decision makers taking place during @sheffdocfest 2014 – deadline 19 March.
- Ever wondered about exactly what happens to your film after you submit it to @edfilmfest? Well, wonder no more!
- Our friend George Clark from @Tate writes about the rise of artists’ film in this piece.
- After our recent, wildly popular New Audiences for Screen Heritage: Innovation Lab, check out the course Tumblr featuring the lovely Robin Baker (Head Curator, BFI Archive) discussing the future of archive film.
- “We took years to get there, and suddenly it was obvious.” Under the Skin director Jonathan Glazer interviewed on the long genesis of his much awaited sci-fi thriller.
- How to tell stories about your country through cinema: see this list of programmes created by international students at Goldsmiths for inspiration (via @deptfordfilm).