News Round-up... 06/09/2013
Serious News Headlines
- BIG NEWS The Competition Commission has published their preliminary findings into the @Picturehouses/@Cineworld merger and found that it will threaten competition in Aberdeen, Bury St Edmunds and Cambridge. There is a petition here to help stop the enforced sales of the Picturehouses in these areas.
And talking of Cineworld…
- The exhibition giant has decided to surf a recent trend of independent exhibition by putting on its own pop-up event. Well, at least it its only @vfestival… but I wonder what @thesolcinema and @lostpicture make of it all?
- @BFI has released the 2013 Statistical Yearbook. Put down that copy of 50 Shades!
- Really interesting approach to distribution for Bosnian Berlinale award winning film An Episode In The Life Of An Iron Picker, whereby the film will be toured through smaller territories in Bosnia and Herzegovina before going all VOD. Like!
- Phil Clapp, Chief Executive of @Cinema_UK, urges The Powers That Be not to make UK Cinemas a Victim of Small Government ideology. Does he have a point?
- Julian Assange has joined the @Raindance jury. Huh?
- @Film_Londons Audience on Demand three month training course for filmmakers has wrapped and here is a report on its achievements. Strengthening the link between production and distribution cannot be a bad thing.
- Eliane Dubois has passed away. A stalwart of European distribution and founder of @CinartBE.
- Tricia Tuttle has taken the secret passageway from @BAFTA to join @BFI as Deputy Head of Festivals further appointments have been made as part of the BFIs exhibition department restructuring, and more can be found here.
- @Screendaily hosts a wealth of updates on Europes continuing experimentation with VoD and release dates. Is the key to unlocking the future of distribution soon to be found?
- Just in case youd been stranded on the Sheppey crossing, @BFI has launched the London Film Festival programme and its a good-un.
- @NYFF_UK has launched its first festival line-up and its a beau-tay!
- @EncountersSFF has launched its full programme and its a must-see-no-brainer!
- As part of Encounters, and in partnership with @wshed, DepicT has released its 12 shortlisted films in competition. Theyre only a minute and a half, so no excuses not to watch them all!
- Our friends @_BFFS_ have opened bookings for their 2013 National Conference for Community Cinemas and Film Society of the Year Awards. And its being held at the wonderful @ifru_london and BFI Southbank. Must see no brainer, mthinks.
- @LUXmovingimage has a round-up of all the must-go-to events in the world of Artists Moving Image. Find out more here.
- Our course, The Business and Creativity of Programming Cultural Film is open for applications and youd be mad to miss it. I mean, check-out the speakers!
- Independent film makers! There is a new free-to-enter competition from @GTechEurope. £5,000 grand prize. What.
- Submissions for the 7th BFI Future Film Festival are now open and The Good Green God is at stake!
- Its that time again folks! @BAFTA have opened the floodgates for short filmmakers to enter their work for their flagship awards. Last year it was Lynne Ramsey, this year…
- There was a minor earthquake in the blogosphere when it was announced that the @BBFC had classified @vertigofilms The Great Hip-Hop Hoax an 18 for a bit of graphic urination. The G @strangethings69 explains why they think this is quite ridiculous…
- @TimeOutFilm is at the forefront of critical thinking with its Ten most outrageous torsos on film article.
- A firm film favourite amongst all film aficionados, William Goldmans The Princess Bride was originally a novel of the same name (of course you already knew that) and @thedailybeast approaches this source material from the perspective of The American Dream. Inconceivable!
- The veritable movie lovers @thedissolve have a great feature on a new Bechdel Test for LGBT characters in film. Be sure to read the comments for continued informed discussion!
- @KermodeMovie references Sophie Brown of @KomediaBrightons blog on the difficulty trying to programme Point Break for our Anatomy of a Programme feature. Check out the You Tube Uncut: Film Club vid: