The Bechdel Test rating (now in use in Sweden) explained.
- The @EuropaCinemas Annual Conference took place this weekend - if you didn't make it to sunny Athens to discuss the issues of the day, check out the event's Storify and this piece on the discussion on young audience development.
- It's not exactly news, but it's newsworthy! Mark Kermode praises our friends @Saffronscreen in his new book, Hatchet Job.
- John Smith recently won the 2013 Jarman Award. See this list of his work available to book from @LUXmovingimage and gain insight into his work here.
Calls for submission/training opportunities
- @sheffdocfest has launched Fast Track to Features 2. A seven month programme of workshops, mentoring and networking for regional documentary filmmaking talent, it also offers participants a delegate pass for Doc/Fest and an opportunity to pitch at the event. Not bad.
- And @BirdsEyeViewFF has launched FILMONOMICS, a skills-based training programme for filmmakers who want to gain industry insight and effectively position and market their films. Sponsored by @SkillsetSSC.
- Our friends @flatpack are calling for submissions for their 2014 festival - deadline er this Friday 29 Nov (eek!).
- I've been to Tampere, and it was a delight. Submit your short film to @TampereFilmFest and you too might have an excuse to visit the Moomin Museum.
- The @UKJewishFilm Fund needs submissions for its Pears Short Film Fund. The scheme will see two lucky winners awarded £10k each to produce a short film on a theme significant to both Jewish and general audiences.
- @screenyorkshire is looking for UK-wide writers, directors and producers for the 4th edition of its talent development programme, Triangle 2014.
- @BristolFilmFest 2014 will run from 3 to 9 March next year and will include a dedicated short film strand. Are you a maker of films radical in topic, content or form? Submit away or if it's festival experience you need, they're also looking for volunteers.
- One for artist filmmakers, @artexpogroup is calling for artists' films for a screening at Nottingham Playhouse in Jan 2014 entitled BORDERLAND - The entropy of identities. Think you can interpret this visually? Submit by 7 Dec.
- @IdeasTap are offering free filmmaking advice sessions for ages 18 to 30 with directors @wearehalcyon in December. They'll feed back to you on shorts, music videos, art films, docs - you name it. Apply by 2 Dec.
- Filmmaking students! @Screentestfest is seeking submissions for its 2014 edition so get yours in, by 31 Dec.
- @KINOFILM Manchester Short Film Festival has extended its applications deadline to 31 Dec and @norwichfilmfest is now open for submissions for its 2014 edition.
- And, are you a poetic soul? Make a short film based on a poem and submit it to Berlin's @ZebraFestival.
The excellent trailer for the recent Uppsala Short Film Festival 2013.
A bumper autumnal edition, written in a post-Screening Days haze! It was a fantastic event - with the highest number of delegates for our autumn event ever - so, many thanks again to all the exhibitors who attended, the distributors who lent us their films, and the alarmingly efficient staff at Watershed for all their help (projection, I'm talking about you!).
If you missed your chance to attend, and you're an exhibitor based in the South East, we're running Screening Days South East in a couple of weeks' time in collaboration with the newly established Film Hub South East. It runs over Fri 22 to Sat 23 November @dukesatkomedia and passes are free - yes, FREE! So what are you waiting for?
Now on to business...
- Have you signed up for an ICO One-to-one yet? Did you fancy approaching us at Screening Days but were too busy inhaling films? We've still got slots available for a couple more weeks, so if you want an hour's chat with one of the team for the miniscule sum of £12, whether you're seeking expert advice on programming, audience development, funding, digital marketing or upgrading your digital equipment, get in touch.
- Documentarians, do you want to get your film made and build your audience? Sheffield Doc/Fest and Crossover Labs, in partnership with Creative Skillset, are running Connecting the Docs - a training & networking event aimed at doc makers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Deadline for apps: Fri 22 November.
- That came round quickly! Submissions are now open for @edfilmfest 2014.
- The 30th Nov deadline for submissions to the 4th @alchemyfilmfest is coming up. Entry is free and the 2014 theme is 'Dreamland'.
- The Strawberry Shorts Film Festival 2014, held in Cambridge annually, is open for submissions. Enter and you could win the seductively named 'La Fraise d'Or'.
- The @BFI Film Academy is looking for 25 articulate, cinematically impassioned 16-19 year olds for their Residential Programme in Screenwriting, to be held at @tynesidecinema from Jan-Feb 2014.
- And in addition, @tynesidecinema will host a symposium, "The Kids Are Alright? Young People and the Future of Audiences for Specialised Film in the UK" on Thursday 12th December, addressing the fact that young cinema audiences continue to be vastly skewed towards mainstream releases over specialised film.
- Are you a video artist with your very own digital projector? Get thee to Birmingham on Friday 29th November and be a part of the @VIVID_ Bring Your Own Beamer Birmingham event which will 'explore the medium of projection by creating a collaborative happening of moving light, sound and performance'.
- One for short filmmakers, the @reedfilm Short Film Competition 2014 is now open for entries on the potentially ambiguous theme of 'Family Business'. You could win £10,000 with your 3 mins max short! Not too shabby, so don't forget to submit, the deadline is 22 January 2014.
- @bbcthree Fresh Online is looking for shorts, too - short documentary films between 2-10 mins long, made in the UK in 2013. Check it out.
- @berwickfilmfest & @BerwickVA are accepting proposals for their annual moving image residency programme, a fantastic opportunity for artists working with moving image to create a new work in response to the 2014 festival theme of border crossing. Deadline: Monday 25th November.
- And the coolly named Artist's Cut from @northernmedia seeks two exceptional artists interested in developing and producing a short narrative film. Even if you don't make the cut (sorry) you can attend some of the workshops on such topics as cinematography, story and distribution. Deadline noon Mon 18th Nov.
The best things in life are-- oh, wait.
Serious News Headlines
- Are you ready for your mind to be blown? Okay, here goes: 24% of total internet bandwidth is taken up by piracy. Sheesh.
- With minds suitably blown, @BFI is splashing some cash: £3m allotted for ‘talent network’, which should help emerging filmmakers get their film-on.
- You’re going to be hearing a lot more about this one: ‘Borrowed Time’, in a cool marketing coup, has become the first British film to Tugg. You may wonder what ‘to Tugg’ means? Well wonder no more.
- Long awaited and greatly needed changes to VPF framework proposed by @BFI, changes that will hopefully benefit smaller distributors (note: "widest point release mechanism") and exhibitors (note: "complete transparency" over end of VPF terms). Hurrah!