The Film Hub South East BFI NETWORK Short Film Development Programme will run from November 2019 – February 2020.
The aim of this programme is to help writers and writer/directors develop an early stage idea for a short film into a script over the course of four months.
We will select up to ten writers based in the South East to attend sessions across the region, meeting regularly to collaboratively develop their short narratives from early ideas to short treatments to completed drafts.
Workshops will be facilitated by script and story editor Kate Leys and Film Hub South East BFI NETWORK Talent Executive Thomas Wightman plus other industry guests, delivering peer-to-peer mentoring and feedback sessions as well as providing individual guidance and notes for writer development. We will also invite producers to meet with all selected writers for script pitching sessions.
Participants must be able to commit to attending a range of writing workshops, development sessions and industry events across the South East region, as well as completing assigned writing work between meetings.
Who can apply?
Participation in the Film Hub South East BFI NETWORK Short Film Development Programme is free and open to writers working in any creative discipline who have an idea for a short film under 15 minutes in length.
Please note that:
- We welcome applications from individuals as well as co-writing teams. You do not need to be working with a producer or director in order to apply.
- You must be based in the South East region (as defined by the BFI) and able to commit to attending a range of writing workshops, development sessions and industry events across the South East region, as well as completing assigned writing work between meetings.
- Your script ideas must be original e.g. not based on existing novels, short stories or other literary works.
- This programme is for early short film script ideas, not ideas that are already in script form. If you have a more developed idea with an existing script, we suggest you consider applying for BFI NETWORK Short Film Funding.
- The programme is free, but successful applicants will need to travel to meetings across the region. However, in certain circumstances Film Hub South East may be able to contribute to your travel costs.
- The full programme schedule and meeting locations are to be confirmed.
How to apply
- Download our application form
- Once you have completed your form, save it as a Word or PDF document.
- Click the ‘Apply’ button at the top right of this page (or scroll down) to complete a brief online form and upload your application form.
- If you need any support in completing your application, please contact Tom Wightman: email@example.com | 0207 636 7120.
The deadline for applications is end Monday 30th September 2019.
Please note that there is a selection process and we aim to let all applicants know the outcome of their registrations by end Friday 25th October 2019 latest.
If you have any queries about the application process or your eligibility, please contact Tom Wightman at: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Before applying online, please ensure you have downloaded and completed our application form.
To apply, click the button below and fill in the brief online web form, uploading your completed application form when prompted.
Before applying online, check you meet the criteria: Who can apply?
Please note that there is a selection process and we aim to let all applicants know the outcome of their registrations by end Friday 25th October 2019 (latest).