Marketing and Communications Assistant
Salary: £22,000 per annum
BIFA is looking for an enthusiastic, creative Marketing and Communications Assistant to support the organisation’s marketing and comms activities around the annual awards, voting process and ongoing campaign to support new independent releases in the UK.
Please contact us if you need this information in a different format or have other access needs.
We welcome applications from all, but are especially keen to receive applications from those in groups currently under-represented within the workforce in the film industry.
About the Role
This is a unique opportunity for an independent film fan with a flair for marketing. The Marketing and Communications Assistant will join a small, busy team at an exciting time for the organisation.
- Hours: Full time, fixed term until March 2023
- Start date: ASAP
- Working pattern: This is a full-time role working Monday to Friday with occasional evening and weekend work required. The role will be based at our office in Golden Square, Soho.
The British Independent Film Awards (BIFA) is an annual award ceremony celebrating the best in independently made British film. The Awards have a particular focus on highlighting the most promising new filmmaking talent emerging in the UK and supporting the development of those individuals. BIFA also coordinates an extensive suite of talent development training for emerging filmmakers, including the Springboard Programme, and ED&I training courses. As well as the annual award ceremony, BIFA promotes independent film to audiences all year round. This role will support the ongoing expansion of that activity, primarily on social media (Instagram, Tiktok, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook) and The BIFA Podcast.
We are looking for a motivated, creative and reliable forward thinker, who enjoys working as part of a small team to support our day-to-day marketing activities including social media, the website and newsletter.
With guidance from the Awards and Marketing Manager, you will deliver effective social media and email campaigns to support BIFA’s annual activities. The role will input into wider marketing plans and campaign activities, attending film screenings and industry events where needed. Recent campaign titles have included PIRATES, THE SOUVENIR PART 2, BOILING POINT, CENSOR, SWEETHEART and AFTER LOVE.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Management of the weekly editorial social calendar, including drafting copy, posting and scheduling all social media posts
- Lead on daily community management of all social media channels
- Creating engaging and relevant concepts for social media posts for all channels
- Monitor industry news to identify relevant stories and researching ideas for original digital content and opportunities
- Lead on media monitoring and logging press cuts
- Maintaining the comms, outreach and contact database
- Assisting the Awards and Marketing Manager in compiling the monthly newsletter and mailing list management
- Assisting the Awards and Marketing Manager in updating the website with news and events
- Assisting the Awards and Marketing Manager in community outreach and building relationships with local partners
- Assisting BIFA’s Content Creator in creating video edits and static assets designed for social media channels and the website
- Assisting the Senior Social Strategist with monthly and annual reporting
- Archiving video footage, photography and other media from BIFA events (including the ceremony)
- Provide support at events including the BIFA ceremony, premieres, festivals and special event screenings
- Experience working in a social media, marketing or communications role
- Extensive working knowledge of social media platforms, particularly Instagram and TikTok
- Experience of creating engaging and reactive content for social media use
- Experience managing the day-to-day running of multiple social media accounts and using scheduling software (Hootsuite, Sprout etc)
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- A demonstrable interest in film and awareness of current landscape, with a keen interest in pop culture
- Good organisational skills, able to prioritise multiple delivery deadlines
- High quality verbal and written communication skills
- Strong writing and copy-editing abilities
- An eye for design and branding consistency
- Experienced in using Mailchimp or similar email marketing tools
- Experience in using Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs, Notion and Slack
- Experience of using website content management systems (CMS)
- Experience of video editing software
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please fill in the application form HERE.
- Application deadline: Monday 11 July (midnight)
- 1st interview: Thursday 14 July or Friday 15 July
- 2nd interview (if required): Monday 18 July
If you’re not able to make the interview dates, please let us know in your application. We can be flexible with timings (e.g. evening and morning slots) – just let us know.
The closing date for this position is 11/07/2022 at 00:00