The Smalls Short Film Festival
Salary: Fee negotiable
The Smalls Short Film Festival is seeking a Programmer for the 2019 festival, which will take place September 6 to 9, to help curate an innovative, diverse and exciting 3-day programme consisting of film screenings (selected from our submissions in the categories of documentary, drama, comedy, music video, animation, bitesize (commercials), student film and this year’s themed strand ‘the environment’), along with relevant panels and industry events. The position that will start beginning of March and end at the end of September.
The role of Festival Programmer will be part time with 1-2 days per week to start and will likely escalate to 3-4 as we approach the festival. We would like you to work from our office in Shoreditch’s Protein Studios, but can be flexible with some remote days. The role will be paid as a day rate, dependant on experience. Please specify your day rate in your application.
The Smalls is a video content agency that connects its community of 17,000+ independent filmmakers with brands, agencies and publishers looking to commission video content. By combining advertising expertise and service with boundless creativity, The Smalls offers a streamlined, cost effective way to generate video content. The Smalls’ offering is rooted in quality and authenticity, born out of The Smalls Film Festival (since 2006).
The Smalls is located in Shoreditch, London (just off Shoreditch High Street) in Protein Studios.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Provide support to the Festival Team
- Shortlist films from our submissions across 8 categories for The Smalls Short Film Festival programme
- Secure and manage festival’s jurors
- Help run and promote The Smalls’ Call for Entry to the film community around the world
- Organise database of filmmakers who have submitted films
- Articulate the mission and guiding principles of The Smalls Film Festival to the international film community
- Establish review and shortlisting timeline
- Participate in strategic planning, including developing and meeting annual budget and audience attendance goals
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner film communities to help promote The Smalls Film Festival, its events and programmes
- Draft and organise accepted filmmaker packages and send to the finalists
- Notify declined film submissions
- Attend film festivals to curate for the 2019 festival
- At times, offer content for The Smalls blog, social media, and website
- To the best of your ability, make introductions to help grow The Smalls Film Festival (sponsors, judges, etc.)
- Oversee creation and maintenance of the master film screening schedule and filmmaker database
- Prepare, assign, and/or write film synopses as well as describe the fundamental purpose and function of the Festival and panels, workshops and Q&As
- Help to produce Festival Programme and other print and online collateral
- Prepare engaging film introductions for selected films at the Festival
- Secure and programme panels on relevant industry topics, featuring key thought leaders and industry figures
- Provide an annual review of the Festival programming
- Coordinate AV needs for Festival
- Help with administrative tasks related to the Festival
- Able to work independently, efficiently and under deadline pressure
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Detail-oriented, organised, motivated
- Experience as a Film Festival Programmer or Assistant/Associate Programmer
- Familiar with film and video formats and film production required
Contact us at Dani@thesmalls.com to apply.
The closing date for this position is 20/03/2019 at 23:59