The Castle Cinema
Duty Manager (Full Time)
The Castle Cinema is an independent venue in Hackney, and the reincarnation of one of London’s earliest picture palaces. Built in 1913 as The Castle Electric Theatre, the original cinema closed in 1958 but re-opened in 2017 after a successful crowdfunding campaign.
With two beautiful screens and a stunning bar, we’re passionate about great films, delicious refreshments and genuine service, and want a trip to The Castle to be remarkable for all three.
We’re proud to have built a great reputation with the following values: honest & generous; friendly & informal; diverse & inclusive.
Duty Managers (DMs) assist the General Manager (GM), Deputy General Manager (DGM) and Cinema Directors in a wide range of daily, weekly and ad-hoc tasks
DMs open and close the building, lead the cinema’s daily operations, uphold levels of customer care, and ensure the smooth running of the cinema.
- Leading the shift so that every customer’s experience is excellent
- Managing staff – providing direction, training, feedback and allocating tasks to staff on duty, and involvement in disciplinary and other procedures as required
- Customer care – including in person and via email / phone
- Ensuring compliance with fire, licensing and H&S requirements
- Cash control – ensuring cash is handled and stored securely, and reported accurately
- Building security – including opening, closing and emergency planning
- Maintaining standards so that all areas are clean and tidy, and any issues are dealt with and reported promptly
- Managing events
- Providing regular and comprehensive feedback to the GM
- Supporting the GM to deliver financial, cleanliness and other targets
- Emergency First Aid (training to be provided)
- Other duties which may be reasonably requested
- Stock – ensuring stock levels are maintained, and records are accurate
- Projection – ensuring all digital content is received and prepared
- Marketing – ensuring all digital and physical points of contact are up-to-date
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and is therefore subject to amendment.
- Previous experience in a management, supervisory or leadership role
- Ability to handle money and accurately record sales. Experience working with tills and cashing up
- The ability to think on your feet when required
- Excellent customer service skills, with a calm and polite demeanour
- Being flexible to the demands of shifts and the job as a whole
- A productive and energetic outlook, with the ability to work with the rest of the team to reach goals.
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Keen attention to detail
- Love of cinema
- First aid qualification
- Personal license
- Previous bar / cafe work
- Food hygiene certificate
- Previous experience writing about film, copywriting, running a website
Hours & availability
- 40 hours per week
- Regular evening shifts
- Three out of four weekends expected
To apply email your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 22 March. Please note though that we will be interviewing over this period, and the position may be filled earlier than the end date.
The closing date for this position is 22/03/2019 at 23:59