Deputy General Manager
Dukes at Komedia Picturehouse
Dukes at Komedia Picturehouse looking for a passionate, diligent, and hard-working Deputy General Manager to help lead our cinema team and iconic venue during an exciting period of rebuilding and change.
About Dukes at Komedia
Approaching its 10th birthday year, the Duke’s at Komedia is the younger, more contemporary sister to the historic Duke of York’s. We are a two-screen cinema and bar, with street side café situated in the quirky and vibrant North Laine neighbourhood – all signposted adequately by our very own set of Can-can legs.
In addition to a diverse programme of films, ranging from quality blockbusters to independent, classic, foreign-language and art-house, The Duke of York’s and Duke’s at Komedia includes a core programming strand dedicated to championing documentaries. The cinema also shows live HD broadcasts of productions from world-class arts venues, such as the New York Metropolitan Opera and the Bolshoi Ballet, theatre productions such as the Royal Shakespeare Company Live from Stratford-upon-Avon and National Theatre Live, art exhibitions and filmmaker Q&As.
We are looking for a passionate, diligent, and hard-working Deputy General Manager to help lead our cinema team and iconic venue during an exciting period of rebuilding and change.
Please note there is a requirement to work full time hours per week over any of the seven days with regular work at evenings and weekends.
To support the General Manager’s overall responsibility for the day to day management of the cinema and to work with the General Manager to provide leadership to maximise the business’ growth and profitability at that cinema. Support succession at all levels and development of the team. To manage operational shifts at the cinema, ensuring a regular presence at key business times. Deputise for the General Manager when they are absent.
As per Duty Manager job description plus:
- Deputise for the General Manager
- Working in partnership with the General Manager, responsible for all recruitment, development and management of the cinema team
- Complete ad-hoc project work as required
- Perform the role of duty manager on a regular basis
People – You will:
- Ensure regular rotation of responsibilities in your management and supervisor team
- Create an environment where high performance can be developed and maximised Implement, deliver and achieve the business objectives through effective communication and management of your team
- Oversee recruitment, training, development and performance at all levels
- Hold regular team meetings with all cinema employees to ensure that the team is engaged, has a clear understanding of the vision and understands key communications
Customer – You will:
- Consistently strive to improve the customer experience in your cinema
- Empower teams to resolve any customer queries and give support, where required
- Engage with customers by being visible and responding to their needs by maintaining a floor presence at key business times
- Ensure the highest levels of on screen presentation are maintained at all times
Operational Excellence – You will:
- Deliver high levels of operational excellence to drive an improved customer experience
- Key focus on ensuring film programming and staff scheduling is optimised to maximise all business opportunities
- Ensure the Health & Safety and well-being of all staff and customers meets business standards
- Ensure all business policies and procedures are followed to expected business standards
Finance – You will:
- Maximise all revenue opportunities and report back on P&L lines
- Deliver budgeted cost lines
Along with your main duties, you will also be expected to carry out any other duties that are reasonably asked of you.
- Managing performance and setting expectations with managers, supervisors and customer service assistants
- Proven track record of delivering operational excellence
- Customer facing experience, in particular in a cinema / food / drink service environment
- IT literate (Microsoft Office suit, industry bespoke software)
- Available to work at key business times i.e. evenings and weekends
- Flexible on location (able to travel a reasonable distance)
- Proven experience of coaching and managing a team
- Local marketing experience
- Significant knowledge of Audio Visual presentation
- P&L Management
- DPS licence holder
- Experience of managing building maintenance
- Experience of managing private hires / events
- An interest in and knowledge of film and Picturehouse’s programming strands
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and is therefore subject to amendment.
This role is based in Brighton, working at the Duke’s at Komedia Picturehouse, located on Gardner Street in the North Laine.
To apply for this position please submit your CV and covering letter by email to email@example.com by Tuesday 16 November.
The closing date for this position is 16/11/2021 at 23:59