Creative Practitioner (Freelance)
Salary: Between £1,800 – £2,900 for 10 days, dependent on experience
Tyneside Cinema is looking for a dynamic, engaging and skilled creative practitioner to lead on the delivery of an exciting partnership project that explores the experience of refugees and asylum seekers living in the North East.
About Tyneside Cinema
Tyneside Cinema is the North East’s leading independent cinema and digital arts venue located in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne where it provides a welcoming space for people from all walks of life to come together. Our venue offers four screens, displaying a vast programme of films from all over the world; an award-winning learning programme which creates space for young people and adults to develop their skills and gives artists space to practice their craft; and three public bar, dining and café spaces which offer a place for film and food lovers to socialise.
Tyneside Cinema is a community, with film at the heart of everything we do. We believe in the power of film to facilitate empathy; as a way to challenge and transport us through the stories of lives we haven’t led, into places we’ve never been. In the setting of our beautiful 1930’s newsreel theatre, we hope to create a space that reflects this potential in film to engage and relate new ideas, experiences and stories.
About the Role
We are looking for a dynamic, engaging and skilled creative practitioner to lead on the delivery of an exciting partnership project that explores the experience of refugees and asylum seekers living in the North East. Collaborating with the Engagement Team at Tyneside Cinema, you will design and deliver a series of workshops that engages and inspires students from Action Foundation’s Action Language programme to make new creative work exploring their relationship to the region that has become their home.
- Tenure: Fixed term, August 2022 to January 2023
- Fee: Between £1,800 – £2,900 for 10 days, dependant on experience, based on Artists’ Union England daily rates of pay.
- Days: 10 in total (Induction: ½ day | Planning: 2.5 days | Delivery: 12 x ½ days | Evaluation: 1 day)
The successful candidate will need to agree to an Enhanced DBS check for the adult workforce.
- Closing: 9am, Monday 1 August
- Interviews: Tuesday 9 August
- Start Date: Week commencing Monday 22 August
- Project Start: Thursday 8 September
- An expression of interest that addresses the people specification outlined above and includes links to relevant examples from your previous work and provide passwords where required (no more than 750 words).
- A brief description of how you might approach this project, particularly what artistic mediums you would use (no more than 250 words)
- An up-to-date CV
Tyneside Cinema’s goal is to promote a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring on merit and our business need. We encourage applications regardless of age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, religion or belief and disability.
If you require any reasonable adjustments in our recruitment process, please let us know.
The closing date for this position is 01/08/2022 at 09:00