Chairperson of the Board of Directors
Irish Film London
Irish Film London is looking for someone to join their Board of Directors as Chairperson.
Irish Film London (IFL) is a not-for-profit organisation that champions Irish film and animation in the UK with three annual festivals and a year-round screening programme. As we enter our 2nd decade of operations, we are seeking expressions of interest from individuals to take on the role of Chairperson of the organisation’s board of directors.
About Irish Film London
IFL is a private company limited by guarantee without share capital.
IFL has just delivered its tenth anniversary events, including the annual Irish Film Festival London. The festival includes the Irish Film London Awards ceremony. We also run events throughout the year, including the film section of the St. Patrick’s Day Festival with the Mayor of London and the film section of the St Brigid’s Festival with the Irish Embassy.
To find out more about Irish Film London visit our website at this link.
Over the next five years, we will be continuing to expand the development of our programmes to more UK cities with strong Irish populations and creating even more professional opportunities for Irish film makers and talent in the UK.
Board Membership at IFL
The purpose of the IFL board is to determine our strategic objectives and policies, monitor progress towards those objectives and account for the company’s activities to our stakeholders.
The position is unpaid but otherwise rewarding in that the board is instrumental in ensuring that IFL showcases actors, directors, producers, writers, and crew who are passionate about having their work presented to a UK audience.
The board meets monthly in the centre of London (or online as required by COVID restrictions) Each board member brings expertise and experience that in aggregate delivers a successful programme of film and animation presentations each year.
The time commitment required to fulfill the duties of this role is the equivalent of an average 3 days per month and includes time in London.
Responsibilities as Chairperson of the Board of Directors
- Oversee IFL in accordance with its current strategy
- Account for IFL’s overall performance
- Support staff training and opportunities
- Ensure IFL operates within the law and its governance framework
- Manage recruitment and certain HR elements for staff and board members
- Oversee board members’ contribution to IFL
- Lead job appraisal for Head of IFL
- Set monthly board meeting agenda and lead board meetings
- Review IFL finances with Finance Director and Head of IFL
- Administration of IFL Companies House account
- Support, advise and lead Head of IFL in key decisions related to the organisation’s goals, funding, timetable and events.
- Act as a representative for IFL at key events
- Take urgent action between board meetings when it isn’t possible or practical to hold a meeting.
- Act as a channel of communication between board and staff when necessary.
Responsibilities as IFL Board Member
- Participate in board meetings and events
- Present short reports/documentation
- Lead on the communications and PR aspects of the overall strategy of Irish Film London
- Ensure we hold ourselves to the highest standards of governance
- Be an active ambassador for IFL in engagements with funders, sponsors, members, film makers, cinemas and audiences
Preferred experience and qualifications
The successful candidate will have a range of experience relevant to the position. Listed below are some of the areas which would set the successful candidate apart:
- Experience of working in the arts or film industry in the UK or Ireland
- Experience of contributing at organisational level within a relevant arts organisation or not-for-profit organisation
- Professional experience with business, education, arts funding or philanthropic networks and organisations
- A level of comfort in dealing with special guests and VIPs
- Commitment to work collaboratively to deliver the organisation’s strategic objectives
- An ability to bring clear and imaginative responses to challenges arising within the organisation
- Demonstrate strong leadership in implementing the organisation’s strategies for success
- Excellent personal and presentational skills
- Familiarity with current and emerging business networks and opportunities
Expressions of interest should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief CV and relevant supporting information by 7 January 2022. It is anticipated interviews will be carried out in mid-late January and the successful candidate selected by February.
The closing date for this position is 07/01/2022 at 23:59