Hyde Park Picture House
Hyde Park Picture House is a cinema and Grade II listed building in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Built by Thomas Winn & Sons, it first opened on 7 November 1914 and retains many original period features, including an ornate balcony and an external box office. It is also the only remaining gaslit cinema in the UK.
After being threatened with closure in 1989, it was taken over by Leeds City Council. Now, following the receipt of National Lottery grants in 2016 and 2018, the venue is looking ahead to an exciting restoration, due to begin in late 2019, that will add a cafe and a second screen to the building, as well as improving its overall accessibility.
Hyde Park Picture House has a varied film programme, from art house cinema to new studio releases, and attracts a varied crowd of local residents and students.
No of Screens: 1
Screen capacity: 275
Technical: Full spec DCI-compliant Digital Cinema Projection and sound
Programme: high quality commercial, crossover & art house
No. of shows a week: approx. 11-16
Regular programming: family matinees, special events, film festivals
Programmer: Wendy Cook, Jonny Courtney (ICO)