Chichester Cinema was initially begun by Roger Gibson (still its Artistic Consultant, and Director of Chichester International Film Festival) in 1979 as the ‘Chichester College Adult Education Film Society’, showing films on 16mm once a week at the city’s College of Arts, Science & Technology.
By 1986 it was known as Chichester City Film Society, showing a wide variety of world cinema and independent film, and moved to its present home in the New Park Community Centre (a building dating from 1888) at New Park Road.
The cinema has developed steadily ever since – acquiring a 35mm projector and beginning to operate as a full-time theatrical venue in 1988, launching the annual Chichester International Film Festival in 1992, and successfully fundraising for an upgrade to DCP projection in 2012 – and has become a key part of Chichester’s cultural and community life.
No of Screens: 1
Screen capacity: 115
Technical: DCI projection, 35mm, Digibeta, Blu-Ray, DVD, Satellite, Dolby Stereo Sound
Programme: the best world and independent cinema with special screenings (e.g. films for children, hard of hearing screenings). The annual Chichester International Film Festival screens the best new cinema from around the globe.
Programmer: Walter Francisco, David Sin (ICO)