Lovingly restored to its former glory in 2001, Buxton Opera House is an exquisitely beautiful Edwardian theatre and one of the country’s finest examples of celebrated architect Frank Matcham’s theatre design.
Originally opened in 1903, it first started screening (silent) films in 1927, before being wired for sound in 1932.
It now incorporates two venues with the adjoining Pavilion Arts Centre. Since 2017 it has housed a 360 seat cinema, screening films for the local community.
No of Screens: 1
Screen capacity: 360
Technical: Barco 2K Projection
Programme: screening off-date new releases including blockbusters, key British independent and world cinema titles and occasional repertory classics
No. of shows a week: averaging 15-20 screenings per week
Regular programming: regular Silver Screenings for seniors, Family Friendly films and accessible shows
Programmer: Sarah Kell, David Sin (ICO)