News Round-up... 21/06/2013
Like a couple doomsday cultists, Spielberg and Lucas are predicting a meltdown for cinema. I ask whether the decline of the blockbuster is such a bad thing; will this see the rise of The Independents!!
Serious News Headlines
- @trustedreviews reports the continued decline in UK 3D film revenue. Is this what the gruesome-twosome had in mind when discussing the death of their own medium? Is anyone surprised by this?
- In case you hadnt heard, we have launched #Posted, a celebration of the Film Festival Poster, with a superb roster of international contributors discussing the finer points of the art.
- @BAFTA launch Breakthrough Brits with the support of @Burberry.
- Only God Forgives given a 12 certificate in France. Makes sense, this is the nation that has Un Chien Andalou on the pre-school curriculum.
- New London film event set for Battersea Power Station, reports @Screendaily, which sounds kinda cool, until you read that there will be seven zones for extreme film fun!
- National Youth Film Festival has been launched as part of @BFIs education programme. One to watch.
- @LUXmovingimage has a round-up of all the must-go-to events in the world of Artists Moving Image.
- @FOCALint is holding its Annual Footage Training Week, which sounds boring but is in fact fascinating; archivists are the superheroes of cinema in my eyes and this is a great way to gain a better understanding of their skill.
- @wshed, our bestest BFF, are providing opportunities for 18-25 year olds looking to get into the creative industries through their Future Producers programme, which is pretty darn exciting.
- @AlchemyFestival is an excellent showcase of artists moving image and they’re open to submissions for six residences in the stunning Ettrick Valley, Scotland.
- @EastEndFilmFest has some great industry events and training this year; one of my favourite festivals this and proud (Im sure) recipient of this weeks Must See No Brainer award. Congrats! #MSNB
- @CornwallFilm is open for submissions; @BerwickFilmFest is also open for submissions as two burgeoning festivals, theyre well worth getting involved with.
- The final blog report from our Swedish cinema exchange participant is a beaut. Hosted at @filmapandotcom, Roger Thollin has a culture shock in Newcastle. Major lols.
- The Gent behind @SatoriScreen, of @DerbyQUAD, has put together a little Fresh Prince/Drunken Master mash-up and its a solid 7 out of 10.
- Beautiful archive pictures of historical European cinemas. Love the Airone, Milan.
- @consumerist has an entertaining feature about profligate use of product placement in films.
- @jrawlson deconstructs Hollywoods approach towards sexuality. He sees dead gay people @guardianfilm
- 10 questions for Joss Whedon @theartsdesk. What would you ask Joss? I would like to ask where exactly he has put Sarah Michelle Gellar…
- Anyone who knows me knows I am a bit of a @BBFC obsessive, and this feature from the @empiremagazine crew is a fascinating look inside their underground world.