A bumper autumnal edition, written in a post-Screening Days haze! It was a fantastic event – with the highest number of delegates for our autumn event ever – so, many thanks again to all the exhibitors who attended, the distributors who lent us their films, and the alarmingly efficient staff at Watershed for all their help (projection, I’m talking about you!).
If you missed your chance to attend, and you’re an exhibitor based in the South East, we’re running Screening Days South East in a couple of weeks’ time in collaboration with the newly established Film Hub South East. It runs over Fri 22 to Sat 23 November @dukesatkomedia and passes are free – yes, FREE! So what are you waiting for?
Now on to business…
- Have you signed up for an ICO One-to-one yet? Did you fancy approaching us at Screening Days but were too busy inhaling films? We’ve still got slots available for a couple more weeks, so if you want an hour’s chat with one of the team for the miniscule sum of £12, whether you’re seeking expert advice on programming, audience development, funding, digital marketing or upgrading your digital equipment, get in touch.
- Documentarians, do you want to get your film made and build your audience? Sheffield Doc/Fest and Crossover Labs, in partnership with Creative Skillset, are running Connecting the Docs – a training & networking event aimed at doc makers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Deadline for apps: Fri 22 November.
- That came round quickly! Submissions are now open for @edfilmfest 2014.
- The 30th Nov deadline for submissions to the 4th @alchemyfilmfest is coming up. Entry is free and the 2014 theme is ‘Dreamland’.
- The Strawberry Shorts Film Festival 2014, held in Cambridge annually, is open for submissions. Enter and you could win the seductively named ‘La Fraise d’Or’.
- The @BFI Film Academy is looking for 25 articulate, cinematically impassioned 16-19 year olds for their Residential Programme in Screenwriting, to be held at @tynesidecinema from Jan-Feb 2014.
- And in addition, @tynesidecinema will host a symposium, “The Kids Are Alright? Young People and the Future of Audiences for Specialised Film in the UK” on Thursday 12th December, addressing the fact that young cinema audiences continue to be vastly skewed towards mainstream releases over specialised film.
- Are you a video artist with your very own digital projector? Get thee to Birmingham on Friday 29th November and be a part of the @VIVID_ Bring Your Own Beamer Birmingham event which will ‘explore the medium of projection by creating a collaborative happening of moving light, sound and performance’.
- One for short filmmakers, the @reedfilm Short Film Competition 2014 is now open for entries on the potentially ambiguous theme of ‘Family Business’. You could win 10,000 with your 3 mins max short! Not too shabby, so don’t forget to submit, the deadline is 22 January 2014.
- @bbcthree Fresh Online is looking for shorts, too – short documentary films between 2-10 mins long, made in the UK in 2013. Check it out.
- @berwickfilmfest & @BerwickVA are accepting proposals for their annual moving image residency programme, a fantastic opportunity for artists working with moving image to create a new work in response to the 2014 festival theme of border crossing. Deadline: Monday 25th November.
- And the coolly named Artist’s Cut from @northernmedia seeks two exceptional artists interested in developing and producing a short narrative film. Even if you don’t make the cut (sorry) you can attend some of the workshops on such topics as cinematography, story and distribution. Deadline noon Mon 18th Nov.
- A great piece on how to be savvy with social media, and use it to benefit customer experience and create a real community around your venue.
- An inspiring read from the founder of LA’s Echo Park Film Center on how they got started.
- A passionate response from Russ Collins of @arthousenow to the controversial recent comments by Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos.
- I hope this doesn’t spell the eventual end of popcorn. Distressing research for cinema advertisers – and possibly, film directors – if also a joyful tribute to the power of chewing.
- @FilmAfrica curator Suzy Gillett talks about programming the 2013 strand currently screening across London venues.
- Congrats to our friends @RFT_Cinema who recently won funding for their new digital projection set-up from @BiffaAward! Here’s how they did it.
- Pixar comes to the aid of Ken Loach in a PR masterstroke (and also, genuinely nice act).
- Tips on how to be innovative with archive footage for filmmakers from @IdeasTap.
- A fascinating and slightly heartbreaking list of unrealised films from @FilmComment.
- Go to this: our own Kate Taylor @sheshark presents Why Are So Many Film Festival Directors Women? for @underwirefest on 23 November.
- And listen to this: why be an artist? Grayson Perry explains, as part of his recent Reith Lectures series.